You can never have enough coffee and this cake is one answer to that craving.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup demarerra (dark brown) sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon finely ground coffee grounds
- confectioner’s sugar
- strongly brewed coffee
- turbanado sugar
- Position rack in middle of the oven and preheat to 350 F. Butter a 10″ nonstick bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. In the bowl of a mixer, whisk together the sugar, melted butter, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Whisk in the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk (in three batches), beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Transfer of batter to pan.
- Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and coffee grounds together and sprinkle on top of the batter in the pan. Swirl with a knife and then pour the remaining batter on top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, about 50 – 60 minutes. Meanwhile, make icing by mixing enough icing sugar with enough coffee to form a thick (but not paste-like!) icing.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto the rack and let cool completely. Transfer to a plate and drizzle the icing evenly over the cooled cake, allowing it to run over the sides slightly. Sprinkle turbanado sugar on top and let stand until icing sets, about 1 hour.
- 6. Serve or store at room temperature, covered, for up to 2 days.