These rolls were pretty good — but I love any kind of Asian-style rolls… the only ingredient that I couldn’t taste was the potato. The lemon, chicken and cabbage held their own but the potato matchsticks did not… oh well.
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 medium-sized chicken breasts
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- ½ lemon (for juice)
- kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups shredded savoy cabbage
- 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugaregg roll/spring roll wrappers
- 1 egg – lightly beaten
- vegetable oil or peanut oil, for frying
- citrus dipping sauce – for serving
- Slice chicken into ½”-wide tenders. Whisk wine, lemon juice, oil, garlic and ginger in large bowl to blend. Add chicken. Turn to coat. Let marinate 20 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade and fry in batches in a large non-stick skillet. Reserve marinade.
- Heat vegetable oil in wok or large saucepan (about 2″ deep). Slice potatoes into 1/8″ matchsticks and rinse in cool water bath. Remove from water, pat dry and deep fry (in two batches) in vegetable oil. Remove from oil, place on paper towel and squeeze about ¼ teaspoon lemon juice on top and sprinkle with kosher salt. Set aside
- Heat olive oil in wok, when hot add green onion, ginger and garlic and saute until tender. Add cabbage and portobello mushrooms. Cook until cabbage begins to soften. Remove from heat and add soy sauce. Toss to cover.
- Whisk together sesame oil, lemon juice, rice wine vinegar and sugar. Toss with cabbage to coat. Add chicken and set aside to cool. Once at room temperature, put in fridge for at least 30 minutes (can be prepared up to one or two days in advance).
- Place 1 egg roll wrapper on work surface. Place ¼ cup cabbage mixture in 3-inch-long log down center of wrapper. Add a tablespoon-full amount of crispy potato matchsticks on top of cabbage. Fold bottom of wrapper over filling, then fold in sides of wrapper over filling. Brush top edge of wrapper with egg. Roll up tightly, pressing to seal edge. Repeat with remaining wrappers and cabbage mixture. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)
- Pour oil (I used ½ cup vegetable and 1 ½ cups peanut) into heavy large pot or wok to depth of 3 inches. Heat to 350˚F. Working in batches, add rolls to oil; deep-fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve with citrus dipping sauce.
* the sauce is great – I might add some red chili flakes next time though, to give it a bit of a kick.
A Domestic Goddess original recipe