These scones are sweet but not cloyingly. They are dainty without being too “cutesy”. Perfect for a shower, served with coffee or tea, they are light, delicious and very easy to make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar, or vanilla sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Scrapings from a ½″ piece of vanilla
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries, cleaned and hulled
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Rub the cold butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg yolk, vanilla bean scrapings, and vanilla extract until blended. Add to the flour mixture and stir with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Carefully and without too much handling, roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. Cut into heart shapes with a small, 1 ½” cookie cutter. Place each scone on a parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Allow to stand about 20 minutes before baking (preheat oven to 400˚F at this point).
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
Mix ingredients in a mix-master or food processor until smooth. Refrigerate; makes about 2 cups.