This is a great recipe for sweet pies or tarts. It makes enough for one 8″ double crust pie, two 8″ pies single crust pies, 6 4-5″ tarts or 12 2-3″ tartlets.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- ¼ cup ice water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- Combine flour and sugar in the bowl of a food processor for a few seconds. Add butter and process until it resembles coarse meal – about 10 seconds. With the machine running, add the ice water through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream, then egg yolks, processing just until the dough holds together. Try not to process for more than 30 seconds.
- Turn dough out onto sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten and form into a disk. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.
This recipe can also be made with 1 cup white all purpose flour and 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour if you want a more hearty, healthy pastry.
Based on my mother’s recipe.