This cake is sweet but not cloyingly so. It’s great as a dessert, as a decadent breakfast or as an afternoon snack when your blood sugar is a little low.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coffee liqueur
- 2 medium-sized apples, chopped into ¼” dice
- 1 apple, cored and sliced into 1/8″ thin slices
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Mix the sugar, flour, and butter until it has the consistency of fine crumbs. Remove ½ cup of crumb mixture and mix with the cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside for the topping.
- To the remaining flour mixture add cream cheese, baking soda, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, vanilla, coffee liqueur, and apples, mixing well.
- Turn the mixture into a greased 9-inch square cake pan. Layer the apple slices on top and sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake at 375˚F. for about 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
A Domestic Goddess Original.