This is a slightly sweet chili that fills you up without completely weighing you down. A lime margarita or just lime juice with mint would go nicely with it to break through the heat.
- 1 medium onion, chopped roughly
- 1 red pepper, chopped roughly
- 2 medium carrots, ¼” diced
- stalk celery, ¼” diced
- zucchini, quartered and chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, quartered and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red chilis
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ cup gold Tequila
- 1 large can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can chick peas, drained (or dried, soaked overnight)
- 1 can creamed corn
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco (or more or less depending on taste)
- Limes and grated cheese to serve
- Sauté vegetables in a large pot on medium heat until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Add spices and cook for another 3 – 5 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with Tequila and add tomatoes. Cook until liquid has reduced by about ¾ – about 1 hour, stirring every so often.
- Add chickpeas and creamed corn and and Tabasco to taste. Cook through and allow flavours to meld for at least an hour or so…the longer you can leave it, usually the better.
- Serve with Tabasco on the side for those who like it spicy and lime wedges to squeeze on top.