The pairing of salty warmed goat cheese, savory roasted garlic, slightly sweet and slightly tangy cranberry chutney and sweet caramelized onions together just makes every bite stand up and stand out.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 medium Vidalia (or any sweet) onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ cup goat cheese
- ½ cup cranberry chutney
- 1 Package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- ½ cup high quality balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Flat bread, pita or crostini
- Roast garlic: Cut off top, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap in tin foil and roast in 400˚F oven for approximately 45 minutes, or until soft and fragrant. Set aside (can be refrigerated for a few days, but bring to room temperature or rewarm in oven before serving).
- Caramelize onion: slice onion thinly and saute in butter and olive oil with sugar until brown and soft (can be refrigerated for a few days, but bring to room temperature or reheat on stove before serving).
- Make chutney: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine cranberries, vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in nutmeg, cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper; simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is very thick, stirring frequently.Cool and refrigerate, bringing to room temperature to serve.
- Serve: Toast or warm bread and serve alongside warmed garlic, goat cheese (rolled in cracked black pepper and/or poppy seeds), caramelized onions and chutney and allow guests to explore each fantastic flavour combination!
Inspired by an appetizer at Milestone’s Restaurant.
Photography by John-Marc Hamilton